1. A basic web page is fairly simple. You should COPY then SAVE the template shown below.
2. Copy the template into a word-processor, then save the file as template.htm.
3. Use a very simple word-processor, such as Windows NotePad or WordPad. Others, such as Microsoft Word, will try to add its own HTM code – and that will be confusing.
4. Then open the file template.htm, add your own text to the page, and SAVE AS filename.htm, where ‘filename’ is a word of your choice.
5. Give it a name, don’t leave any spaces, and use all lowercase letters. That is, avoid using capital letters in web page filenames.
6. You can view the results by opening the page in your web browser.
7. To do this, go to FILE then OPEN PAGE, and type the pathname into the dialogue box. Alternatively, use the Browse feature to locate your file – filename.htm.
8. Don’t type the statements between the square brackets.
[ Insert the title of your page here ]
[ Insert the main heading of your page here ]
[ Start the text of your page here ]
[ Insert more writing here ]
© Roy Johnson 2002